As technology advances, so do the ways in which we must grow accustom to using it. Image Recognition is the process by which a computer’s eye sees and recognizes On the fore front of new age technology for consumers is image recognition. There are a few different algorithms used for image recognition, here are a few:
- Face Recognition
- Face Recognition came along as a form of security measure, the image of the face is scanned and stored by a computer and becomes the only way that the device in which it is used for can be opened, the face becomes the password.
- Pattern and Gradient matching
- Involves using the outline shape of an object and the gradient shades inside of a pattern as a way for the computer to recognize the image.
- Optical Character Recognition
- Optical Character Recognition is one of the ways in which the computer can see. By using data entry on printed paper data records, passport documents, bank statements, invoices, computerized receipts, business cards, mail, or any type of written documentation, OCR can transcribe messages and information.
- License Plate matching
- Through video license plates can be detected by computers
using computerized license plate character recognition, this is used by various state and local agencies to observe and manage traffic rules.
Image Recognition is also one of the most efficient ways to protect your home, property, and valuables. It is used in various types of factory automation systems, surveillance, and for monitoring unattended toll booths across the country.
Image recognition is no longer just about the face, it has branched out into the world of retail, and through a company called Slyce. Slyce is the next level of where the roads are crossing between the virtual world of shopping and actual physical products. Slyce is an application for your smart phone that allows the user to take a picture of any merchandise, whether on someone’s shoulder (like a purse), in a magazine, or in someone’s home, and the app will search the internet to find the product, when the product appears the user can purchase it with the click of a button and have it delivered to their home. It is the next step, or the elimination of the physical act of walking into a department store, or other type of retailer as well as the elimination of the having to visit the website of the retailer. Slyce is simply an imaging search platform that integrates with digital content providers and retail brands giving instant buying satisfaction to smart phone users.
Image technology has spread through almost all of the major industries and communication networks, with the use of the telephone as an instant shopping device as its latest venture is truly revolutionary. The smart phone has just become smarter and there are lots of seasoned retailers climbing on board to strive and keep up with the way the world is changing and becoming more and more virtual. No longer is there a need to visit the mall, just take a picture and click buy now.