Reputation is everything in business, it’s your lifeline. Your reputation will either make you or break you and in most instances, a bad reputation will break you. It’s essential that you have a stellar reputation, but sometimes how your business is perceived is beyond your control.
As you grow your business, there will be competitors and individuals that feel the need to bad mouth or paint your image or brand in a negative light. For what reason, you may never know, but it happens and it’s happening with greater frequency.
If you don’t respond to negative attacks, the public perception is that they may be true. Staying silent or taking the “high road” and not acknowledging it only serves to bolster the intent behind the negative attack.
Here are five effective approaches, as recommended by one of the most reputable online reputation management companies, to counter negative publicity and attacks on your brand or reputation;
1. Maintain your character and a professional image. Don’t lower yourself to their level and get into a so-called “mud slinging” contest. Stay your course with your clients, sidestepping the negative onslaught.
2. Clients may perceive you as not being able to maintain your level of excellent service and becoming distracted if you are engaged in a battle of wits with a naysayer. Stay in touch with your clients, keeping them abreast of the situation and that it’s business as usual.
3. Divert the attention by providing your clients with “added value.” Keeping your client focused on their issues keeps attention on other issues at a distance. Focus on their needs and everything else becomes inconsequential to them.
4. Don’t go at it alone, seek advice and recommendations as to handle an attack on your reputation. Collaborate with others for a positive resolution.
5. Remain focused on your business plan, but plan a counter attack, in a discrete, professional manner. Consider the services of an online reputation management firm such as Reputation Management Fixers, to assist you in restoring or maintaining you public and online reputation. They can do more with their resources that allow them to bury negative search results and create positive media coverage for your company as well.